Saturday, June 28, 2008

I can't wait until May, 2255!

Hooray! Ukulala (ukulaladotcom on YouTube) just reached a nice little meaningless milestone: 100 YouTube Subscribers!

YouTuber jemmahatty rolled the subscribers over into three-digit territory. I'll resist the temptation to profile her yet. That means somewhere out there are 100 people that may or may not know when I put a video up. 100 people who probably have ukuleles, want to learn through video tutorials, and like somewhat similar music to what I've done tutorials for.

That got me thinking... where is this whole Ukulala thing going, and how fast? I think you know where I'm going with this: time for some math.

Let's see... I posted my first video on January 13th. Using a handy online time passage calculator, we can calculate that 166 days have passed. That works out to 100 subscribers in 166 days = 100/166 = 0.6024 New Subscribers per day.

So now I can calculate when I should hope to reach my next milestones (Subscriber goals), using the formula:

(# of days from January 13th, 2008) = (Subscriber goal)/0.6024


And then I can plug January 13th, 2008 and the # of days to look past it into this other time and date calculator to get an actual date for when I should expect to reach that milestone. Here's an idea of what to expect:

100 subscribers: 100/0.6024 = 166 days (Saturday, June 28th, 2008 - TODAY!)
200 subscribers: 200/0.6024 = 332 days (Wednesday, December 10, 2008)
500 subscribers: 500/0.6024 = 830 days (
Thursday, April 22, 2010)

and 1000 subscribers (big milestone!) = 1660 days (Monday, July 30, 2012)

So what does this all mean? To put things in perspective, at this rate, ukulaladotcom will have as many subscribers as that creepy girl who looks at the camera by

Sunday, May 27, 2255

When I am about 275 years old. What? It could happen. Of course, that's assuming there isn't a drop-off once everyone who plays the ukulele has subscribed.

~
Oh, and on the topic of milestones, I added a blurb about Ukulala to the "Top 50 Ukulele Sites list" last month, along with the tracking logo (left top) to see how Ukulala would stack up against the other juggernauts of the uke world.

I know what you're thinking: There are 50 ukulele sites!? Well, believe it or not, there are even more. Ukulala broke the top 50 on June 12th and has been climbing up ever since. It's now at #35, and because of the cumulative way the list calculates hits, I expect to be in the top 25 maybe by the end of the year. I think a good goal would be to get into the top 20 by 2009. I have no idea how reasonable that is, but I've always wanted to say "Wuddup dudes, well, I'm not an expert or anything, no, I'm just the guy who has the sixth most popular ukulele-based tutorial blog on the Northeastern coast."

That'll always be the dream.


3 Comments:

Christian Herwitz said...

Oh man...love the Top 50 Ukulele Sites description:

Ukulala - A blog about learning (mostly awesome indie music) on the ukulele, teaching the ukulele, and eventually making ukulele music. Complete with tutorial videos, question-and-answer sessions, stupid commentary, a weekly poll, crass jokes, and also that's it.

I wouldn't want to visit a ukulele site described any other way!

Anonymous said...

Hi!

I find your videos on learning how to play different songs really, really helpful. I was wondering if there's any chance that you could like learn this song called Vapnet - Kalla mig and put it in a video and show us how to play it? Haha I know odd request but you know, I like your videos and the directions are easy to follow. So maybe if you could just check the song out and see if you're interested? The song's in Swedish by the way, haha. It's a good song though, with a great opening. You can listen to it here if you want:
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=k3TjkcKwq1g

anyway, keep up the good work, love your blog

Paz said...

M.T.-
And my guess is, you don't and won't!

Julia-
Thanks, and I did see that you posted this in the "Ask Ukulala Anything" box, so I'll let you know when volume 4 is out!

p.s. I can't understand any of your blog, but the pictures are gorgeous.